If you have been wondering about drinking too much tea side effects, you are in the right place. 2-3 cups of hot and refreshing tea will keep you motivated and energetic throughout the day. But anything more than that can lead to moderate side effects and more severe side effects. We found 16 such side effects that you need to keep in mind before drinking tea.
Excess tea can lead to dehydration
Feeling dehydrated is a very common side effect of drinking too much tea. This happens because the caffeine in tea can decrease the absorption of the ability of your tubules. 3 cups a day won’t be a problem!
Hinder absorption of vital nutrients
Vital nutrients and minerals like B vitamins, iron, and magnesium might not get absorbed efficiently if you consume too much tea. Research shows that caffeine in tea causes nutrient depletion.
Increases anxiety and nervousness
Tea or any caffeinated drink is great for keeping you awake and energetic. But large doses of caffeine can lead to nervousness and anxiety. Research also suggests that a moderate amount can also cause such side effects in healthy individuals. If you drink too much tea to tackle headaches and work pressure, it can quickly become a headache itself, leaving you drained and jittery.
Overconsumption can call for different types of cancer
Love drinking your tea hot? A study has found that drinking tea between 149-158°F increases the chances of developing esophageal cancer. The theory is also significant when tested in individuals drinking hot tea within 3 minutes of pouring. If you are of the many individuals who drink 7-10 cups of tea per day, you also have a 50% risk of developing prostate cancer.
Detrimental for individuals with cardiovascular disorders
If you are already suffering from some sort of heart disease, drinking tea can even worsen symptoms. This is because caffeine increases heart rate and increase blood pressure.
Potential risk of miscarriage during pregnancy
Matcha tea and pregnancy are dangerous risky combination. This can be applied to all forms of tea if consumed in excess. Tea during pregnancy third trimester and during the initial phase can cause birth defects and lead to miscarriage. One of the side effects of drinking too much green tea can lead to your baby developing lifelong cardiovascular diseases right from the womb!
The caffeine in tea can keep you awake longer. While this is great for doing long hours of work but can quickly turn into insomnia. If you have trouble sleeping and consume tea throughout the day and night, your problems will likely to increase further.
Hinders digestion process
Drinking too much tea can stimulate bowel movements in the stomach. So, diarrhea and loose stools are some of the common symptoms. If you have GERD, tea can elevate this issue further!
Raise blood pressure and alter the rhythm of heart rate
Tea can raise blood pressure in any individual. Though the effect might not be detrimental in the short run but can damage arteries and hinder heart-brain blood flow in the long run. Caffeine in tea can play with your heartbeat rhythm and lead to kidney failure on massive overdose. A moderate amount of tea shouldn’t be a major issue and also considering the temporary effects of caffeine.
You can consume as much tea as you need to keep you up on a particular day. But it can cause rebounding effect and leave you out of energy when you stop consuming. The worst part is you can get addicted to caffeine or tea and end up drinking more.
Increased urinary frequency
Frequent urination might not be a real problem for human health! But this is one of the side effects of drinking too much tea. People with overactive bladders have been found to urinate more consuming just 2mg caffeine per pound of their body weight in a day. More than 450mg consumption of caffeine can also cause incontinence. This is a condition when individuals lose their control over urination.
Side effects of drinking too much peppermint tea
You might find it healthy to drink peppermint tea that has no caffeine. But drinking too much of it can cause the following side effects:
- Bad for indigestion problem: If you have been suffering from indigestion lately, peppermint tea can interfere with the medication and worsen the condition.
- Interferes with diabetes: Individuals with diabetes drinking peppermint tea can experience an increase in blood sugar levels and interaction with diabetic medicines.
- Cause allergy: Headache and mouth sores are common allergic reactions to peppermint tea.
- Risky for pregnant ladies: In pregnant ladies, peppermint tea can play with the uterine blood flow and cause different sets of risks.
- Increase stomach ulcer sufferings: The menthol in peppermint is responsible for worsening stomach ulcer.
Side effects of drinking too much iced tea
If you think iced tea is healthier than hot tea, you might be wrong. The alarming story of a 56-year-old man almost reaching death by consuming iced tea is all over the internet. Black tea can contains a high amount of oxalate, and it can quickly reach the kidneys if consumed in large amounts. So iced tea can ultimately lead to renal failure.
Side effects of drinking too much chamomile tea
Chamomile tea is one of the healthiest drinks consumed by millions of people all over the world. But overconsumption of chamomile tea can have many side effects.
- Can cause internal bleeding: Chamomile tea can interact with drugs like warfarin, heparin, and ticlopidine. If you are taking warfarin medicine, drinking chamomile can cause internal bleeding.
- Develop allergy symptoms: Some individuals who are allergic to pollens should avoid chamomile tea. It can cause skin rashes and throat swelling.
Side effects of drinking too much turmeric tea
Turmeric is an amazing spice from Asia and can also be consumed as a drink.The possible side effects of consuming too much turmeric tea are:
- Causes bleeding: People who have bleeding disorders can experience increased bleeding if they consume turmeric. So, if you are one of them, avoid turmeric in your favorite curry or even a turmeric tea.
- Gallbladder stones: Turmeric is a rich source of oxalates. So, it has the potential of causing renal failure or developing stones in the kidney or gallbladder.
- Intestinal issues: Turmeric has curcumin that can cause diarrhea and nausea.
Side effects of drinking too much sweet tea
Sweet tea can be addictive and also enhance the taste of a cup of tea to a significant level. But it comes with some cons as well. Sweet tea can lead to obesity and type 2 diabetes. And if you consume other sugary drinks like coke and energy drinks, the risk increases further.